Local Environment Setup
If you are willing to set up your environment for Java programming language, then this section guides you on how to download and set up Java on your machine. Following are the steps to set up the environment.
These pages below show you how to install JDK on your machine:
- how to install JDK on Mac OS
- how to install JDK on Ubuntu
- how to install JDK on Windows Operating System
Follow the instructions to download Java and install Java on your machine. Once you installed Java on your machine, you will need to set environment variables to point to correct installation directories −
Popular Java Editors
To write your Java programs, you will need a text editor. There are even more sophisticated IDEs available in the market. But for now, you can consider one of the following −
- Notepad − On Windows machine, you can use any simple text editor like Notepad (Recommended for this tutorial), TextPad.
- Eclipse − A Java IDE developed by the eclipse open-source community and can be downloaded from https://www.eclipse.org/.
- Intellij -A JAVA IDE developed by the jetbrain which offers many useful tool for developing java and is what i recomend to use.You can download from https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/.
What is Next?
Next chapter will teach you how to write and run your first Java program and some of the important basic syntaxes in Java needed for developing applications.